What are Physiotherapy PPEs?
PPE is Personal Protective Equipment and includes any device that a user will wear or be provided with in order to protect him/her against one or more risks that may threaten both his/her health and safety.
When choosing the elements that will form part of our PPE, the most advisable option is to choose single-use elements. This is because they are the ideal choice when working conditions require certain health and safety conditions to be respected.
What should a disposable physiotherapy PPE include?
In the case of physiotherapy, the essential elements that must be included in a PPE to guarantee both the safety of the physiotherapist and the patient would be:
- Disposable mask. It protects the user against solid and liquid particles suspended in the air.
- Disposable gloves. They prevent bacterial contamination and chemical contact with the hands.
For increased safety and hygiene conditions, the mask and single-use gloves can be complemented with:
- Disposable gown. Protects the wearer and their clothing from soiling by solids and liquids while preventing contamination by the wearer.
- Disposable shoe covers. They protect users from bacteria that may adhere to shoes or feet after stepping on the surface.
- Disposable sleeves. Cover the upper extremities of the arms and ensure their protection and safety.
- Disposable caps. They protect and prevent contamination of certain work areas with sweat, hair or microorganisms that may be released.
Advantages of disposable items
These are the advantages of the advantages of having disposable elements over reusable ones in Physiotherapy PPE:
- Hygiene. Stains and cross-infection are avoided, as well as reducing the possibility of transmission of agents.
- Impermeability. They have a surface that does not absorb or allow liquid or gas to pass through. Comfort. They fit snugly to the body and are lightweight.
- Reliability. As they are not exposed to the wear and tear of reusable workwear, the disposable alternative transmits greater confidence as they will be in perfect conditions when used.
- Storage. Being single-use, it is disposable and does not require storage once used.
- Economical. As it does not need washing or sterilization, it is economical and energy-saving.